Saturday, March 07, 2009

great expectations

I imagined...
Long rows of brand new single family houses, all the same colour, all the same size. A pristine, freshly constructed 'vinex'-like atmosphere. A diversity of economical identities. No significant participation of women in the society.

I see...
All these different houses scattered around town. I know they're brand new, but damaged by dirt and humidity, some of them look over 50 years old. I try not to slip in the mud and avoid the holes in the pavement exposing the sewer system. I smell spices, rotten fish and poo. The sounds of traffic and prayers coming from the mosques are all I can hear. Dirty skinny cats with broken tails roam the streets of Banda Aceh. Little Nokia shop, noodle place, little Nokia shop, noodle place, little fruit shop, noodle place. Half of the election billboards are showing female candidates.

In the end of May 2009 I will see...
Differences in the age of houses. I can easily seperate the post- from the predisaster dwellings. I think it's going to rain today. I notice this lady not wearing a headscarf. Did they build a new house at this corner? And where is that little red cat? Hey, CARE has left. Until when will the UNDP be around? Stephanie, hurry up, afternoon prayer will start in a few minutes.

Photo by Michiel Mollen

No comments:

Post a Comment